Monday, May 19, 2008

The Old Arthur Cemetery

Oh Momma ...

Ever since last weekend ... since Mother's Day ... it's been on my heart to visit the Old Arthur Cemetery, as you always called the old abandoned family cemetery of the Arthur forebears on your side of our family.

So ... by God's Grace ... as I hope ... I did it.

I drove to Hornersville, your birthplace, last Friday ... intending to return to Tulsa the next day ... but actually coming back today, Trinity Sunday.

After some work & some searching & some queries ... by God's Grace and perhaps a nudge or two by you or some of our forebears among the Arthurs ... I found it.

In the middle of a farmer's field ... it looked like a wooded mound ... had to walk across the field to reach it ..

And thne it was so overgrown I could only make out one marker.

So I set about cleaning it up. Went to Walmart & got a weedeater & some supplies ... and after much work had about 2/3 of the hillock cleared.

And to my delight found graves of JW Arthur, John Arthur, Samuel Arthur, Grant Arthur ... and ... oh my God ... Louisey Arthur. The old widow of old Samuel Arthur, said to be buried in Indiana, where he came from. But there was Louisey. With two of her sons (Grant and Samuel) buired on either side of her. What a family she raised.

Among her children was Elizabeth "Lizzie" Arthur. Mother of Bertha Victoria Rust. Mother of you Momma.

Yes Louisey Arthur (maiden name Goad) is my Great-Great-Grandmother.

Oh Momma I put flowers on the grave of each of our maternal forebears. Louisey, and Lizzie, and Bertha.

Lizzie and Bertha being in the Horner Cemetery, which was a wonderful visit.

Oh Momma how I miss you

Oh Momma how grateful I feel to you and to all our forebears.

Oh Momma

Oh Lord Jesus

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Charles Delacroix
Trinity Sunday

No comments: