Sunday, May 11, 2008

Psalm 103 ... and Momma

OOR from Pentecost is so so ... happy. Upbeat.

OK but God that's not how it feels right now to me.

O God

O Momma how I miss you ... o how I miss you ...

How do people do this how do they do this

But they do

They do

Oh God

Oh Momma

Psalm 103 (104) is the heart of OOR for Pentecost ... and oh what a sweeping vision of Your Creation oh God and of Your Providence it gives. Really so very very very much like Your Answer to Job. So is this too my answer? I guess so ... I guess it will have to do at all events ... till another, in a better place, perhaps.

This jumped out at me this morning in Ps 103 ...

man goes out to his labour,
and works until evening.

That's really ... almost ... the only allusion to Man in this whole sweeping Psalm. There's a verse mentioning ships, and of course that implies Man. There's a verse almost incongruously placed about Sinners. But not so incongruously perhaps: for Man, Righteousness is to act in Accordance with Your Will, Your Creative and Providential Will. To do as we are humbly Created to do. To in fact respond to his humbling call:

man goes out to his labour,
and works until evening.

What else indeed is there for us to do in this world? We go out and labour, and work till evening. Then sleep and the next day, it starts again.

Until indeed we complete our whole lifetime of labour in this world ... and in the evening of life lay our tools aside as You gather us home.

This connects Ps 103 indeed to the Hymn at the beginning of MP for the Office for the Dead this morning.

The Hymn also almost incongruously alludes to the evening of life ... this in a Hymn set for Morning Prayer.

But of course the Evening of Life is always at the Close of Life no matter the time of day.

Oh Momma

Oh Momma in the Evening of your life you went forth from this world called by Another
Oh Momma I acknowledge the Call and Your Obedience to that Call
But Oh God
Oh Momma
How I miss you
Oh how I miss you
I go forth and labor and come home in the evening
And you are not here
you are not here
So what is the point
Why
Why
Why
Why

The question of Job and of the Man on the Cross

Answered by the later chapters of Job

And by Psalm 103

Oh God

OK dammit
OK

Hail Mary
Full of grace
the Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb
JESUS
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Mother of all
Mother of Mothers
Mother of my mother
Mother of me
Pray for us sinners
Now
and at the hour
of our death
Amen

Till Eventide takes us
Till Eventide takes me to be with you O Momma I hope and pray
Till then
I love you
And I miss you
Momma

man goes out to his labour,
and works until evening.

Hell

OK God
OK

Thy will be done

Charles Delacroix
Pentecost
Mothers Day

No comments: