Monday, August 27, 2007

Mom's Funeral Day

Mom's funeral was today and I dare Hope that she is home, with God, now.

I'm feeling emotionally and physically exhausted but spiritually there's been some measure of consolation and for that I am very grateful.

For one thing, I am so glad that God arranged, in His Providence, for Mom's funeral to take place today, on the Feast of St Monica. What a wonderful Feast of a wonderful mother for my mother's homecoming to be celebrated on.


In fact, every year I re-read (in OOR) the story of St Monica's Death as told by St Augustine in his Confessions. And every year I feel my heart wrenched and moved. This year is no different, but I am this time so very moved in a special way because almost everything that Augustine says about his dear mother, and his experience of her death, seems so very very like my own very recent experience with the death of Mom. This is an enormous comfort to me ... once again the Church puts before me that which reminds me that I'm not alone, that my own experience of this loss, and this blessing, is niether more nor less nor other than that common in the Church the Body of Christ.

The story of the Death of St Monica is the 2nd Reading in the OOR for this Feast Day: and can be found at http://www.universalis.com/20070827/readings.htm

What a wonderful testimony to the love of a mother, the love of a son, and their joint love of God at her death.

Also ... there is a very, very beautiful full moon here tonite. When I was looking at the moon I thought of George MacDonald's wonderful depiction of the Moon in Phantastes. For anyone not familiar with MacDonald, he's old time Scots Presybterian but his storied Moon - full of love and compassion and observance and care for us mortals who wind our way over the landscapes of this world and which may seem harsh indeed during the daytime, but bathed in Moonlight at night. This has always made me think of Mary. A sort of peace amid the desolation came over me and at the moment although I feel so empty and lonely, I feel inwardly bathed in Mary's Moonlight of peace amid the desolation and think of Dame Julian of Norwich: "all will be well, and all will be well, and all will be most well."

Therefore ... Thy will not mine be done, O Lord.

Hail Mary Full of Grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongs women
And blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen.

Love in Christ,

Charles Delacroix

Feast of St Monica

No comments: