Saturday, April 5, 2008

Love and Longing and Tons of Loneliness

I just saw an Israeli film with the English title The Band's Visit (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032856/

Remarkable at so many levels ...

I've had a rough, rough week ... and what this movie does for me ... what movies sometimes do for me ... is help me reconnect with painful feelings that I've managed to get disconnected from ... that is, this kind of movie can help me get back onto the Way of the Cross that is above all the Way in this world ...

The movie is full of poignancy and aridity and starkness and humor ... and (as the Band's conductor sings at the end) "love and longing".

And loneliness ... as an Israeli character says in a wonderful scene in the bedroom of his infant son ... "tons of loneliness" ...

Oh God.

Missing Momma means of course Love and Longing and Tons of Loneliness ...

But these things I felt long before you passed away, dear Momma ...

What is life in this world except Love and Longing and Tons of Loneliness ...

Here St Peter says that we are "aliens and exiles". And until we continue on to our True Home ... our Home with Your, O Lord ... well, here we will feel like the exiles in Babylon ... as in Ps 137 ...

Full of Longing and Loneliness ... and Love ...

I love you Momma

I love you Jesus

I love you and am more grateful than I can ever say for you

I love you

No comments: