Sunday, April 6, 2008

Memory, Anamnesis, and Longing

I was just looking at that picture Momma always loved so much. She said again and again that she got it ... when? Back in the 1950s? Before I was born, I think. She always said she got it because it reminded her of home.

That's a big part of my struggle I think ... that nothing reminds me of home.

There's no home in this world to remind me of.

Oh my.

But perhaps that's not such a bad "space" to be in.

For "here we have no lasting place."

And here "we are aliens and exiles in this world."

Sacred Scripture is right.

My true Home is with Christ in God.

Until then ... nothing reminds me of home in this world ...

But everything ... everything ... reminds me of my true Home ...

And the Longing ... the Longing ... for my true Home ...

The same kind of Longing as our forefathers felt ... in exile in Babylon ... Ps 137 ...

That Longing is an inalienable part of my right and my heritage and my dignity as a human person. It's part of what makes me human. It's part of what makes me a Son of Adam and Eve. And it's part of what makes me a Son of the New Adam and the New Eve.

Oh Lord ... how long ... Maranatha ...

Charles Delacroix
3rd Sunday in Ester

No comments: