Saturday, December 15, 2007

Of Golf, MASH, Friends, The Robe ... and Momma

This afternoon, I turned on TV to find a golf tournament being televised on one station. I watched for a few minutes and remembered how much I enjoyed a little routine I had with Mom when Golf came on TV.

Years ago, I saw a movie (Marx Brothers? Jerry Lewis? can't remember) in which a woman at one point humorously describes the game of Golf as "grown men hitting a little ball around on the green grass" ... or something like that. Since then, I would repeat the joke with Mom ... golf would come on TV, and I'd say, "Look, Momma, there's a bunch of grown men hitting little balls around on the green grass." And she'd laugh and I'd laugh. Sometimes we'd wonder out loud if golf isn't really an excuse to get out and walk around on a beautiful lawn under blue skies in lovely sunshine. Mom sometimes averred that fishing was similar: an excuse to get out and relax beside a beautiful stream. We were only half serious when we had these conversations; certainly no offense was meant to the noble endeavors of golf and of fishing. But it was part of our argot to say these things to one another. A sort of game that involved the same thing ever time ... and we always loved to play our game.

Well ... when golf came on I both thought of these things ... and O how I miss you Momma. I said the same things to your empty chair that I have always said. I don't know that you don't still hear what I say as before. But the game is no more: it takes two to banter as we did; and your chair is silent. Oh Momma ... how I miss you ...

I watched Friends and Cheers tonite ... oh Momma how you would have loved to watch these, together, with me ... and then the OETA Movie Club (PBS) came on and they are showing The Robe (1953) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046247/ , with Richard Burton and Victor Mature and Jean Simmons. This is one of the many post-WWII generation of films made in the 1950s, often with Bibical themes. Mom liked The Robe, as did I. We both loved Ben Hur (1959) and the Ten Commandments (1956). So many things ... so many movies ... we enjoyed and shared together. No more.

I love you Momma and I miss you

I love you Lord Jesus

O Lord Jesus please please please take good care of my Momma

I love you

In Jesus Name,

Charles Delacroix
Eve of the 3rd Sunday in Advent

No comments: