Saturday, December 29, 2007

Pygmalion ... PS I love you

The OETA Movie Club is showing Pygmalion (1938), tonite ... the version with the great Leslie Howard as Henry Higgins, and Wendy Hiller as Eliza Doolittle. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030637/. Frankly, this wouldn't be Mom's favorite version: she and I loved My Fair Lady (1964) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058385/ with the redoubtable Rex Harrison as Higgins, and the delightful Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle. Still, she and I would have talked about Leslie Howard ... a wonderful actor, who Mom and I both most associated with Gone with the Wind (1939) and The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934). What a wonderful actor in particular from the movies that Mom most knew and loved ...

I also saw another movie today ... PS I Love You (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431308/ with a delightful Hilary Swank starring. I liked the movie very much ... I'm not sure Mom would have, to be honest, but I liked especially the sense throughout that Life and Death are closely, closely intertwined. The vision of Death affecting everything, the sense of a relationship sundered but not over; the overwhelming Job-like anger and despondency and demands for explanations of the Swank character ... all this of course touches me very deeply.

For what doesn't seem meaningless, valueless, worthless, hopeless, dry and dusty and tasteless ... in this life with Momma no longer here ...

Oh Momma I miss you so so so so much

Oh Lord Jesus please please please please take good care of my dear Momma.

I love you Momma

I love you Jesus

Charles Delacroix
Feast of St Thomas Becket
Eve of the Feast of the Holy Family

PS ... I love you!

No comments: