Sunday, June 15, 2008

Authenticity and Integrity

I finally remembered that my goal these days is really very simple:

To respond to the catastrophe of Mom's passing with as much authenticity and integrity as I can. This I think is still God's Call for me today.

So I cancelled my lunch with my aunt & cousin, & cancelled my lunch with my colleague, and drove up to Bartlesville. With an enormous crowbar I got at Home Depot. And plenty of other tools for the job.

By God's Grace, I was able to shift my grandfather's marker. It's now repositioned, and flat, more or less flush with the surface of the ground around it. I cleaned it and brushed it off and repositioned a Father's Day sprig of blue flowers. And for Charles W. Vaughan, Sr, I said a prayer and asked his prayers. May this father of my father have a wonderful Father's Day in as I hope a better place than this.

It felt really, really good. I know ... I *know* ... that Momma would very much approve my taking the time and effort to pay respect to my father's father's grave. This was of course above all a gift to me. A reminder that indeed on this Father's Day I have so, so, so much to be thankful for from my earthly fathers ... more even from my Heavenly Father.

Oh Momma ... oh Momma and all mothers who picked for fathers men who they thought were "decent guys" ... like you did Momma ... oh what is there to say but: Thanks.

I love you Momma and I miss you Momma.

I love you Daddy and I miss you Daddy.

Oh Jesus have mercy on us all.

And ... *thank* you all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Charles Delacroix
Sunday 11 in OT

No comments: