Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Dog

I was feeling so down this morning ... oh Momma I miss you so much ... and I was looking out the back window, and there was a bunny rabbit sitting on the back lawn, just west of the back porch.

Oh Momma how we would have talked and laughed about that rabbit ...

Then I saw Spooky slowly creeping along the fence line ... squatting every now and then ... she still has the colitis or gastritis or whatever that is ... and she was perhaps 15 feet from the rabbit ... and didn't even seem to notice it ...

I fed her this morning ... with a very generous portion of cheese (she likes CHEEEEEEEZ!!) ... and she definitely still has an appetite for cheese ... I gave her the antibiotic ... and after going in and out of hte garage a few times to check on her, she seemed to be more up, her tail wagging, and looking at me, seeming to say, as Momma you would have said for her, "Gee ... are WE going anywhere?"

So I fixed up her a place in your car, Momma, and we went out. Honestly she had such a time getting into the front seat, but didn't even try for her accustomed place in the back seat.

Off we went ... and went to the cemetery ... looking for a short walk, something with shade, since it's hot ... and also of course I hoped we would both get to visit you, Momma.

We went for our "walky-walky" ... she was very very slow at first, and then up to slow ... I had given her aspirin this morning, but oh that arthritis must be bad ... we walked and got to visit you, Momma ... I reminded her, Momma, that you loved her so very very very very much ... and Momma I know she loved you very very vrery very much. And oh Momma we both do miss you so so so so so much.

Well, the dog and I walked back to the car ... I helped her into the passenger side seat ... and after a short distance, she clambered into the back seat. She lay down at first, but then stood up, right behind me, poking her nose out the window between the driver's seat and the back edge of the window ... in her accustomed car-riding stance ... and oh Momma it was so good to see her doing that. Of course I petted her and told her what a good girl she was and that if Momma were here Momma would tell her she's the prettiest girl in town.

We came home and I fixed some nice fresh water ... she's resting now Momma ... oh but God she's getting old too ... and I keep wondering how long ... and how I miss going for our long walks down at Woodward Park when she would chase the squirrels and jerk the leash out of my hand with her enthusiasm and strength and vigor ... all, I fear, gone by the wayside now.

Oh Momma I love you and miss you
Oh Spooky I love you and promise to take care of you ... please get well

Oh God have mercy on me

Charles Delacroix
Saint Joachim and Saint Anne, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Oh Momma even the mother of mothers, Mary most Holy, must have grieved the deaths of her beloved parents. Oh Mary Most Holy, oh good St Anne, oh good St Joachim and good St Joseph, pray for me, and for my dear departed mother.

No comments: