Monday, July 7, 2008

Light and Darkness in Hornersville

Momma, I got back from Hornersville yesterday evening ... and oh Lord ... such mixed, mixed feelings.

The Arthur / Hutchens Cemetery had grown up quite a bit just in the past ... I think ... 4 weeks since I was last there. And I found two large monuments toppled over.

Elijah Horner and Martha Horner's monument.

And E.J. Hutchens's monument.

There's a 3rd monument that came down in the past approx 2 months since I started going out to the Hutchens Cemetery there: the biggest monument of all, enormous really, 3 massive blocks one on top of the other, for H.N. Hutchens (Henry Nix Hutchens) and his wife Mary (Arthur) Hutchens.

All three I think must have been toppled by an irrigation boom passing over the cemetery.

I had spoke with the farmer who farms the land about the first desecration. He denied knowing anything about it and ascribed it to vandals. And I reported the 2nd desecration (what else to call it?) to the Dunklin Co Sheriff. He was very kind. But nothing sounds very hopeful about doing anything about it of a substantive nature. The land belongs to the farmer, or the person(s) from whom he leases it.

I spoke with Aunt Edna and she doesn't express much hope to say the least either.

Momma, I know, I know ... I really do tend to idealize this picture of Hornersville ... and of a small-town, family-oriented community, with a deep sense of community ... and rootedness ... and that speaks to my heart, torn by deracination, very much. That's perhaps the light side of a small town community.

The darker side is actually the "flip side" of the same deep connections. Someone with such connections can do much ... and get away with it ... because those connections will protect him/her. Not unlike the Mafia Omerta. If I'm seen as an outsider ... Justice is not the issue, but the question of who's an Insider and who's an Outsider.

CS Lewis was right ... speaking of Phileo ... and some allied senses of Love, like Love of Country. All very good as far as it goes.

But without an added sense of Goodness and Justice ... Phileo and Love of Kin and Love of Community can turn to Injustice ... with some truly horrible things countenanced and tolerated depending on one's "connections" in the community.

Oh God

Oh Momma

Thank you Lord for all the good things about Hornersville. Help me please to walk my walk in acceptance of the reality that may be Hornersville as well ... for good and ill.

And I must say there was so much that was moving in my visit. I saw the Joe Hole. I took pictures and Aunt Edna and Cousin Rosanna looked at them, and Rosanna confirmed that that truly was the Joe Hole. Means so much just to see and remember what it meant to you, Momma.

And now I'm off to work.

I love you Momma and I miss you so so so so so so so so much
I put flowers on your G-Grampa Samuel Arthur's and your G-Granma Louisey Goad Arthur's graves. May God in His Mercy allow that you all may be conversing of happier things even now. Thank you God for my Momma ... and for my G-G-Gransparents Samuel & Louisey.

And for all in my family ... and for all in Hornersville, past and present.

I ask by Jesus' Mercy Grace and Happiness such as is consistent with Your Will for all.

And for Your Love for Me Lord Jesus.

Charles Delacroix
Monday of Week 14 in Ordinary Time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://tonoviergates.net/][img]http://tonoviergates.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]download filemaker pro 10 advanced, [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]buy phone software[/url]
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]academic software office[/url] filemaker pro 10 training google being blocked by kaspersky
buy oem software [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]discount software house scam[/url] make windows xp look like vista
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]selling software products[/url] store operations software
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]free interactive coreldraw 11 tutorial[/url] 0 Mac
can i buy used software [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]antivirus software to buy[/url][/b]