Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fr Curley's A Way of the Cross for the Bereaved

I just happened to encounter this on my bookshelves while I was looking to see if I had a copy of Salvifici Doloris.

The full citation is Rev. Terence P. Curley, D.Min., A Way of the Cross for the Bereaved and it looks like a wonderful resource. There is a passage in the Introduction that really caught my eye: "This booklet is an invitation to the bereaved to let go of the urge to flee the grief they cannot seem to face. It is an invitation to express it, rather, and to begin to accept it in the light of faith. This is the beginning of the healing process which will end ultimately one day when we meet out departed loved ones again in the Kingdom of God. We live in hope as we walk with the Lord in this Way of the Cross for the Bereaved."

So I am once again called to embrace the pain and suffering of my bereavement, just as we are all called to embrace the pain and suffering of our many, many Crosses, as we Follow Christ on the Way of the Cross to which each of us is called.

Earlier today I had been trying to breathe in the pain and breathe out the pain once again. To find in my loneliness a chance to join Jesus in Gethsemani; to find in my pain an opportunity to open myself up to a small place in His Calvary. And although the pain of course did not abate, I was finding in my own desolation a new sense of the Presence of God. For wherever there is suffering, there is the Cross of Christ, and there is Christ.

No comments: