Saturday, September 29, 2007

Holy Archangels be my Advocates, now & at the hour of my death

I just returned from her Grave ... and until I opened my Office this morning, I plain didn't realize that today is the Feast of the Holy Archangels, Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael.

Praying their Office left me with some real comfort in the midst of all the pain and desolation.

The Invitatory is "Come, let us worship the Lord in the company of his angels;" and the Hymn opening OOR is "They come, God's messengers of love ..." That wonderful word of anticipation, of longing, of yearning ... come ... in this Office on this Holy Day has always seemed to me almost an early "taste" of Advent, with such a strong yearning for the Coming of Emmanuel.

And O Lord ... we are invited to worship not just the Lord, but the Lord in the company of his angels. Of course the Lord is surrounded by not only His angels but by His Holy Church Triumphant. O my Lord ... I too, mortal though I be, in this vale of tears find myself surrounded ... as are we all here below ... by this gladsome company. I am not so alone after all it seems as sometimes I may feel in my bereavement.

But here's more from the Hymn for OOR ...

"They come, to watch around us here,
To soothe our sorrow, calm our fear"

Thank you, Lord, for the comfort of these your spirits who come to help us in our sorrow.

The angels, the Hymn goes on, give us much help while we are here ... both now and at the hour of our death. Here's the supplication of the Hymn regarding this matter ...

"To us an angel-guard supply,
When on the bed of death we lie."

Yes, Lord, please ...

Then OOR's Psalm 97 gives us once more this picture of God and his angels ... and, we think, our true home, and, I hope and pray, my Mother's true home ... there with God, where "cloud and darkness are his raiment / his throne, justice and right."

Ps 103 offers no illusions as to our condition here in this valley of tears ...

"For he knows of what we are made,
he remembers that we are dust.
As for man, his days are like grass;
he flowers like the flower of the field;
the wind blows and he is gone
and his place never sees him again."

Indeed. O Lord ... O Momma ... O Angels and Saints ... I know this is true but Ohhhh ...

Then Ps 103 offers our only hope:

"But the love of the Lord is everlasting ..."

It's true isn't it. His Love is everlasting. And the only things that will last partake of His Love. O Lord, I offer in Hope and prayerful petition my love for my dear mother; and her dear love for me. In these I see pale Ikons of your everlasting Love and ask that our love may find eternal rest in reflecting Your eternal Love, now and forever, Amen.

Love always,

Charles Delacroix
F of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel & Raphael

No comments: