Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why? ... as Expression of Anger or Sorrow

One more thing ... I think sometimes ... especially in Job ... a question like "Why?" doesn't necessarily mean "Why?" but is rather a shorthand way of saying "I'm hurting and I can't believe this is happening to me and I miss my loved ones and I'm so pissed off I can hardly see straight."

Maybe another way of saying "Why?" in this sense would be "WTF"?

Frankly I don't see anything at all wrong with using "Why?" in this sense; and as far as I can see, God doesn't see any problem with this very, very human "cri de coeur" either - as witness His condemnation of the Job's "Comforters" and His embracing at the end of Job what Job had said about Him.

Thank You so much God for being a God Who embraces all who are poor in spirit and all who mourn, even when we say things that might be less than polite in other company.

Thank You Lord for bowing down to earth to receive the cries of the poor.

Thank You for embracing "la conditione humaine" in all its abject poverty with such Love (Phil. 2).

Charles Delacroix
Eve of the Feast of Ss Cosmas & Damian

No comments: