Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Mom's New Neighbors

I forgot to mention that there really is much to be grateful for in Mom's graveyard neighbors. I don't know their stories, of course. But a glance at their markers ... and just the knowledge that here are men and women who are our brothers and sisters, as we are all children of Adam and Eve ... really gives me moving testimony of how much there is to be grateful for.

The grave marker that is the closest to Mom's grave belongs to a man who died in 2004. He was born on September 5, 1956. That is, today is his birthday. He was born only a few days before my sister, who also was born in 1956. I was myself born in 1954. He died when he was 48 years old. I am 52 years old. And my Mom died, after what by all accounts must be considered a good, long life, at the age of 86.

But I sat beside this man who died several years ago as I prayed for my mother; and I prayed for him as well. Do not I ... and my Mom ... have much to be grateful for? I who deserved nothing; who deserve not even to be alive today much less yesterday or at age 48; I am allowed to walk the face of this earth for a few more days .... or, as God may grant, weeks, months, or years. In what way is this not an enormous blessing? A tragic blessing, perhaps, considering the end of all things passing through this Holy Saturday of Life. But a blessing nonetheless.

Thank you Lord. And may my Mom ... and this man interred next to her ... Rest In Peace

Charles Delacroix
Wednesday of 22nd Week of Ordinary Time

No comments: