Tuesday, September 25, 2007

St Braulio on Hope and Discouragement in Death

I ran across what to me is a very moving, very encouraging, and very realistic reading in the Office of Readings from the Office for the Dead. The reading is from St Braulio ... here's one paragraph:

“Let the hope of resurrection encourage us, then, because we shall see again those whom we lose here below. Of course, we must continue to believe firmly in Christ; we must continue to obey His commandments. His power is so great that it is easier for Him to raise the dead to life that it is for us to arouse those who are sleeping, As we are saying all these things some unknown feeling causes us to burst into tears; some hidden feeling discourages the mind which tries to trust and to hope. Such is the sad human condition; without Christ all of life is utter emptiness."

Yes, yes, and yes ... I do believe in the Resurrection; and I hope that she and I are both granted the opportunity to see one another again in Heaven. But even thinking this actually brings tears to my eyes ... and not tears of anticipated hope, but tears of grief, and discouragement, for her loss. And still that feeling that I miss her, and miss her very, very deeply. Like the Saint says, "such," indeed, "is the sad human condition." And this along with St Augustine's reflection that our heart won't rest till resting in God; and along with the reflection that (indeed) "The grave holds all things beautiful" leads to what really is an inescapable conclusion: "without Christ all of life is utter emptiness."

Lord, let me place all my thoughts, feelings, and actions into Your Hands. For there alone is my Hope.

Charles Delacroix
Eve of the Feast of Ss Cosmas & Damian

No comments: