Friday, February 29, 2008

A Friend I've Never Met

There are so many beautiful, moving tributes to Wm F Buckley Jr at the readers' tribute site ... http://rememberingwfb.nationalreview.com/ Here's one that especially speaks to my heart:

A Friend I've Never Met

Like many Americans these days, I get my first news each morning via the Internet. And like so many others, this means first clicking on National Review On-line. So it was most fitting this morning that I learned of Bill Buckley's death from your brief news alert.

I spent much of today reminiscing about the loss of a friend who I never met personally. I am one of the thousands of Americans Mr. Buckley touched in a deep and abiding way through his singular eloquence and signature erudition in untiring advocacy of conservative ideals and values. In the mid 1970s, though newly married and beginning to make my own way in the world, I found myself seemingly without the companionship of others who thought and felt as I did. Then I happened upon a copy of National Review, and found Bill Buckley and his sterling company of like-minded associates.

I had been thinking of Mr. Buckley the past several days. This is about the time of year that I begin looking for his remarkable solicitations for financial support. I will miss receiving these letters. Although I was able to respond only a few times the past 30 years, it was not for lack of wanting, or caring. I will miss these solicitations so very dearly, as I will miss him.

One year ago this week, my beloved paternal father died. Today, my beloved intellectual father died. Tomorrow, I turn 60. As the years inexorably pass, it begins to seem like death is not only not final, but is not lonely, either.

Randy Mazzeo, Martinsburg, West Virginia

Thanks, Mr Mazzeo ... for a moving tribute that speaks for me as well as for you.

Charles Delacroix
Friday in the 3rd Week of Lent

No comments: