Friday, November 2, 2007

Dies Irae

The Roman Breviary for the Feast of All Souls allows use of the hymn Dies Irae during all hours of the Feast day. I said it in Latin, since it was in Latin in my Office, but I didn't know Latin well enough to understand it. I just looked it up and was deeply moved. http://www.franciscan-archive.org/de_celano/opera/diesirae.html. Yes, Lord Jesus ...

"Kneeling and bowed down I pray,
My heart contrite as ashes:
Do Thou {, my End,} care for my end.

"That sorrowful day,
on which will arise from the buring coals
Man accused to be judged:
therefore, O God, do Thou spare him.

"Faithful Lord Jesus,
grant them rest.
Amen

"O Thou, God of Majesty,
nourishing brillance of the Trinity,
join us with the Blessed. Amen."

Amen indeed, O "nourishing brilliance of the Trinity"

No comments: