Thursday, November 8, 2007

Michael Clayton's Story ... and Denouement

I saw Michael Clayton for the second time in 2 days today. This is perhaps my 3rd or 4th time since it opened about 3 weeks ago. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465538/

And I left with such a deep sense of gratitude. For the Story for one thing. I love Story. It helps me to keep things in perspective. When I see someone else's Story I guess it reminds me that I ... and Mom ... and everyone else ... has a Story as well. And all Story is really an Ikon of The Story of Stories: that of Adam and of the Second Adam.

But also this amazing vision of a man who in so many ways is a loser. Who does what he needs to do in response to a Summons that he initially believes to be the ravings of a madman, and which he subsequently embraces in response to a conversion experience when he has a sort of Trinitarian encounter with a triad of horses. It's sort of a willful turning away from limitations of this world, to a narrow way that could feel like a different sort of limitations.

Still the end of the movie shows a man who has, by his choice, ended his own life as he knew it. He's frightened, astonished, relieved, energized, confused. And what's next? We don't know.

I went on to the Cathedral Chapel where I did another Way of the Cross for the Bereaved. And thought some more of Michael Clayton. And what was to become of him.

And the word that came to my mind was Denouement.

I remember last Winter/Spring that horrible word came to my mind again and again in connection with Mom. Oh how I miss her ... but even then I knew I was acting out, and she was acting out, a Denouement.

And now what am I facing but a different kind of Denouement.

My Denouement.

Painful thought but also kind of liberating.

Denouement.

"For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain." Phil. 1:21. St Paul's words could be mine and every Christian's of course.

"Far be it for me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ by which the world has been crucified to me and me to the world." Gal 6:14. Yes ... how else indeed.

Oh Mom how I miss you ... yet in my Denouement perhaps I can see an opportunity to live toward your Denouement.

Sleepy ... time for me to go to sleep.

Oh Mom how I miss you and love you.

Oh Lord Jesus how I love you and I beg you ... take good care of my dear Momma, O Lord, please, please, please ...

I love you Lord.

Charles Delacroix
Eve of the Feast of the Dedication of Basilica St John Lateran

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging for that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the sneakers are about 300 dollars on every site. But finally I set this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase these. what can you say about it?