Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mom's Kitchen ... and Me

I went through Mom's kitchen a bit better this morning, partly looking for things to use in processing the pumpkin to make a pumpkin pie.

I kept seeing things that bring back such memories. A beat up old cookie sheet that has held so many, so many cookies made by Mom, that I've eaten so many times ... cookie cutters that Mom' used to make Christmas cookies ... skillets belonging to Mom and to her Mom ... glasses and flatware and teacups and a Mason jar ... all that Mom used ...

One thing I didn't find that I was hoping to find was an electric mixer that she used to use especially when making icing for cake. Oh my ... how many times as a kid she would whirr and whirr that thing and then disconnect one of the rotors, and hand it to me with a big big smile ... I would take it and lick it clean of icing ... oh my ...

I found several tea pots that had one thing or another broken ... Mom used so many little teapots and a handle or a spout would break every now and then.

I found a big big pot that I can remember Mom using whenever she was boiling water for spaghetti. Ah ... her spaghetti was served with the most meaty spaghetti sauce that I've ever had the deep pleasure of enjoying ...

I finally ran by Walmart with the dog after we went for a walk this evening ... and I bought a potato masher to use when mashing up the pumpkin meat. I looked up and down the aisle at the kitchenware and cooking ware and thought about getting some more things to try in the future ... and then I went home and boiled some hot water for fettucine. I think I must be getting more domestic by the day sometimes. It really felt good to go home and make this simple fettucine dish.

I'll never forget quoting Samuel Johnson to Mom once ... Johnson said that to be happy at home is the end of all human endeavor (or something like that). Mom agreed wholeheartedly.

My oh my oh my ... how I miss you dear Momma ... oh I never ever ever went hungry in your household ... but what you fed us was so much more than just food ... you served everything with you love ... and that nourished us more than anything else ...

I love you Momma.

Jesus I love you Lord. Please please please take good care of my Momma.

And may all the angels and saints intercede for Mom and for me on this special, special day.

Love in Christ,

Charles Delacroix
Feast of All Saints.

No comments: