Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Courage is the Name of Momma’s Generation: The Just Do It Generation

[I wrote this last night when I was out of town at a professional conference]

Courage is the Name of Momma’s Generation: The Just Do It Generation

OK I’m back from the store. Bought a 10$ Dollar General Store shirt since I’ve managed to make it here with just one shirt.

And then prayed EP from the Office for the Dead for Momma.

You know, when I think about it, Aunt Edna sounds … and has sounded … about her health almost the same as Momma did about hers. She just “does it”: she went to the hospital because it was the Next Right Thing, really. Me, I’m agitated and fearful and feel my heart wrenched for her and for Momma, since she’s Momma’s sister, and of course for me. But that’s me. That generation … Momma and Aunt Edna … they just “do it”. Momma “did it” right up to the end. Oh God. How I admire my Momma and that amazing Greatest Generation.

I wonder … I wonder how Aunt Edna feels deep down … since Momma’s been gone … she says that everyone’s really gone … from her generation …

Maybe she feels that she’s playing out a denouement.

Really so do I. I feel myself as if I’m just playing out an endgame, working through a denouement.

No comments: