Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008)

Oh Momma ... I do feel somewhat better ...

Partly to be honest because I've been feeling plain exhausted all day. I'm just plain not young anymore. Staying awake all night leaves me plain worn out the next day.

I went to Orientation, participated OK, had some extra time to catch up at work ... and that felt better. I split a little early and went to see Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008) http://imdb.com/title/tt0970468/. The movie didn't do very well at the b.o. ... it was just released in the USA in limited release last Friday 3/7 and it didn't even appear in the top 10 b.o. movies for the weekend. I guess I can see why it might not have garnered much audience. It was "slow", a comedy of manners of a truly old-fashioned kind ... think Cary Grant ... in fact this could well have been a 1950s Cary Grant movie. Me, I really found this movie delightful. What's not to like for that matter about a Cary Grant movie. Momma you and I both loved Cargy Grant movies. You I think would have liked this one very much too. It's set in pre-WWII London ... and has a similar flavor to Atonement (2007) http://imdb.com/title/tt0783233/ in its first part. In fact there's wonderful scene in a box canyon street in downtown London that looks extraordinarily like a scene in Atonement ... and who knows, maybe both movies included this same delightful street scene. But oh those WWII vintage scenes. I thought of you Momma so much. And the music ... here there was something of period jazz and period Big Band and you would have loved this, Momma. I kept thinking of he wonderful Big Band sound in The Mask (1994) http://imdb.com/title/tt0110475/ I kept thinking too of those Big Band sound shows we got to attend and enjoy so much in Knoxville. Oh Momma I think you would have loved this. I certainly did. What a charming, delightful movie.

Ah me. Momma ... oh Momma ... I can't believe that Spring is coming and you are not here. I can't believe that Palm Sunday is approaching in just a few days and you are not here. I can't believe that this life is anything at all without you here.

Ah me. Oh well.

Gratitude ... what a wonderful gift O Lord to even be allowed to walk the earth that Momma walked ... that her Generation walked ... that gives us such wonderful movies ...

Ah now a little pain. Still too tired to feel much of anything. But ...

Pain in

Pain out

Breathe the Pain in

Breathe the Pain out

Ah me.

I love you Lord

I love you Momma

I miss you Momma so so so so so so so much

O Lord please please please please ... take good care of my good Momma ...

I love you

Charles Delacroix
Tuesday of 5th Week in Lent

No comments: