Thursday, March 27, 2008

Gratitude ... and Redbuds ... and Momma's Dog

Oh God

I just got home from the hospital after a mini-ordeal that started Holy Saturday ...

I had gotten a call from Cousin Charlotte that their mom (my aunt; my Mom's sister) was very sick ... diarrhea & vomiting. Charlotte had been taking care of her with love and prudence and industry and this despite her own kids' needs at home ... they had, thankfully, been able to go to an Easter Egg Hunt ... and I agreed to stay the night at Aunt Edna's with Cousin Rosanna.

Aunt Edna was feeling so much better though ... but on Easter morning, Rosanna announced that she had talked with Charlotte's husband, and she had gotten ill, apparently with the "same bug."

Aunt Edna continued to improve, though, and I left her and Rosanna sometime early Easter afternoon.

Alas I found myself feeling gradually worse and worse ... and by Sunday night found myself severely ill with the same "bug."

By the next morning, Easter Morning, I tried going to work; threw up at work; came home; and struggled during the day. That evening Rosanna called: Aunt Edna had become sick again. I went over and after talking it over, things seemed to going as well as could be expected for the moment, so I went back home ... to a rough night ...

I called in sick on Easter Tuesday, struggled, and late that night/early Easter Wed morning finally went to the ER at Claremore Indian Hospital ... "my hospital."

I had never been to the ER but they were wonderful. They quickly determined that I was dehydrated, my "acid/base" balance was severely out of balance (acidosis), and my diabetes was out of control (BG over 530). I was placed in ICU and stabilized and, as I say, was just discharged.

But here's the thing. This was really one of those rare times that I've experienced when the net result seemed to be enormous, enormous Gratitude for life just as it is.

Just as it is. Just as God sends it. Just as we get it. Just for today.

I mean here I am ... allowed by God, for whatever reason He might have, to walk the face of this old world for one more day.

And what a world. OK there 's lots & lots & LOTS of things wrong.

But I walked out of the hospital into a beautiful spring day full of flowering Bradford pears and redbuds and sunshine and fresh buds everywhere.

Oh Momma this is your kind of day.

And my kind of day.

What a day.

Oh my.

I'm not to return to work till Monday 3/31. Take it easy in the meantime.

OK. So I fed the dog just now ... what a gift is Momma's dog.

And ... we're going to go visit Momma in a few minutes.

I think I'll take my camera.

Oh Momma the redbuds ... your favorite flowering tree ... they are so lovely.

What a lovely day

I a lovely life

What a gift from You O God

Just for Today

Thank you .. THANK YOU O Lord.

Just for Today

Charles Delacroix
Easter Thursday

No comments: