Saturday, March 8, 2008

Homes and Houses

Houses aren't just houses any more than sex is just sex or money is just money.

Sex ... no matter what worldly views may hold to the contrary ... Sex is about Relationship.

Money ... I thought at one time might be at best a necessary evil ... but really, Momma, to you and your generation, Money always meant something more than money: it meant ability to live in a home, it meant ability to take care of your family, it meant your children's college fund ..

So houses for you always meant not just a building, but a building with your family in it: that's what made a house a Home.

I remember so well when we were out and about and you would turn to me ... as you did on that fateful day at the hospital when I told you what the doctors said about your terminal condition ... how well I remember your words ... "Son ... let's go home."

And home we went. To the home that is only partly represented by the house in which I am sitting right now typing this. This house oh Momma was your Home, was our Home. It is still my Home today. It is still, to me at least, our Home today still.

Today I drove by your previous Homes ... the house on N Urbana, the house on S Pittsburg, the house on E 32nd, the house on E 38th ... they all looked like they were in good condition, Momma. The enormous storm damage from December has been finally cleaned up, substantially, over the last week or so by these enormous contract debris collection trucks. And the houses that were our Homes in the past look good, Momma, they really do ...

Oh thank you Momma and thank you God ... for Homes ...

And Oh Lord

Please please please please ... take me Home to my true Home ... to our true Home ... to be with You .. and with my dear dear Momma ...

I love you

I love you both

I love you

Charles Delacroix
Feast of St John of God

Money

No comments: