Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Little Animals"

Momma so loved "little animals." So did I; so do I.

The bunny rabbits that came into our back yard so often were always welcome. Whenever we didn't get to spot one or the other of our "regular" rabbits, either Mom or I would say something like, "I wonder where our rabbits have got off to?" or "You know, if they're going to be off galivanting around or something, they could at least let us know so we won't worry about'em ..."

Birds ... Momma loved birds. She called them and their songs among the greatest things that God gave us in this world. There are some glass and porcelain blue birds above the sink. I think I gave one of them to Momma. She loved things like that.

Penguins are among my favorite creatures ... Mom and I both got such a kick out of talking about them. The penguins in Mary Poppins always brought a smile to Mom's face ... and to mine.

But Mom's favorites were any "little fuzzy animals." Squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits ... even little mice. We had problems at one time with mice in the house. Thankfully gone now with some pest control assistance. But every now & then before that she or I or both would see a little mouse scurrying along a wall in the living room or kitchen. I put out traps, bait, etc, but they kept coming for awhile. Momma said every now and then "We've got to get rid of them ... but ... they are kinda cute ..." I'd laugh and say, "Well, yes ... they are kinda cute ..." and we'd both laugh and banter back and forth about these fuzzy little creatures ... before agreeing once again that (of course) they had to go.

We were planning to go to the zoo last summer. Mom's health never quite allowed her to feel up to it ... but oh how she would have loved it. We last went several years ago I think. She loved all the animals ... except the snakes, to be sure ... but she most loved the little furry creatures at the zoo.

Oh Momma how I miss you ... nothing nothing nothing is the same without you ... I look at the little fuzzy stuffed animals and I love them still but oh how I miss you and how I miss talking with you about them and I think at some level they miss you too.

Above all ... above all ... our Spooky, our fuzzy puppy dog, she and Iboth miss you so ...

Oh Momma how I miss you

Oh Momma how we all miss you

Oh Momma I love you so much

Oh Lord Jesus ... please please please ... take good care of my good Momma ...

I love you Momma

I love you Jesus

Charles Delacroix
Thursday in Christmas Season before the Baptism of the Lord

No comments: