Sunday, January 27, 2008

Mom's Skillet

I made French toast this morning for breakfast. Using one of Mom's skillets. There are 3 skillets ... all belonged to her mother, to my Grandma; and one of them (I think?) was handed down to Grandma by her mother ... probably Great-Grandma Rust. I've actually been using 2 of the skillets quite a lot since Mom died.

But I wonder ...

Am I cleaning them right ...?

Mom said these are "seasoned" skillets. She told me that seasoned skillets have the iron's pores well filled with grease and oil from repeated uses over the years ... and helps to make them good, good skillets for cooking.

I think, though, she told me that cleaning them too much ... over-soaping and over-scrubbing ... wasn't good for the seasoning though. And now I'm wondering if I'm overdoing ... ? It's painful to think that I might be treating these skillets in any way that would undermine what Grandma and Great-Grandma ... and my Momma ... did to make them and keep them well seasoned. It's even more painful to think that I might not be treating these skillets the way they would have wanted them treated.

Oh Momma ... you're not here to tell me.

Oh Momma ... I miss you so so so so so so much ...

I love you

And I miss you

Oh my beloved Jesus Lord and Savior

Please please please please please

Take good care of my good Momma ...

Charles Delacroix
3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

No comments: