Saturday, October 6, 2007

Brigadoon (& Star Trek)

Fox has recently (perhaps just tonite?) started showing the original Star Trek series on Saturday nights. This would have been good news to Mom: she liked Star Trek ... especially Mr Spock and his analog in one of the later Star Trek series, Data.

But I mostly wanted to say something about Brigadoon, the delightful musical ... see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046807/

Brigadoon was produced in 1954, the year of my birth ... a source of some pleasure for me. Mom liked Brigadoon ... as did I. She liked the Lerner & Loew songs and score; she liked Gene Kelly, Van Johnson, and Cyd Charisse; she liked the wonderful scenery; and the wonderful story. I shared her delight in all of these and (perhaps) in more ... to me this is one of the great mid-century productions that give us an almost transcendant sense of Sehnsucht, of Longing ... and in one of the scenes, the Longing of souls of this world for "a place like Brigadoon" is celebrated forthrightly ... and with a wistulness that simply fills my heart with Longing ... for God, for Christ, for Our True Country of which Brigadoon is, to me, an Ikon.

Brigadoon was being shown tonite on Public TV, on OETA; and Mom and I always looked forward to Saturday nights, like this, because we would look for what the "Movie Guy" had to show that night. "The Movie Guy" was B.J. Wexler, of the OETA Movie Club: http://www.oeta.onenet.net/local/movie.html and Mom and I often watched movies on The Movie Club together. This is such a delightful memory for me, it really is, although tonight I watch this wonderful movie with considerable sorrow as well ... I look to the right, at Mom's chair ... and she is not there.

Oh how I miss you Mom ... Ohhhhhhhhhh Mom ... you would have loved the Movie Guy's movie tonight so ... oh I love this movie too ...

And even in all this pain ... thank you Lord ... oh please help me Lord ... and thank you thank you Lord for the many wonderful Saturday nights that you granted me the privilege of enjoying these wonderful old movies in the company of my wonderful wonderful mother.

Thank you Lord.

Charles Delacroix
Feast of St Bruno

No comments: