Monday, October 8, 2007

Mom's Poetry

I was looking in Mom's files this morning, looking for things in preparation for an upcoming meeting with an attorney about the estate. That's to take place this Wednesday, and I really feel such dread ... and aversion ... and a horrible sense of violation ... as this feels like yet one more step in watching Mom die ... this time in watching her public and social and legal self slowly drawing to a close. I know ... this has to happen ... but oh .... Mom ... I miss you so much and don't want even this part of you to go, although I know it has to be ...

But God ... and Mom ... gave me a serendipitous jolt of both pain and joy when I ran across a file folder full of poems that she had written.

I had no idea ... really, I don't think I've ever seen any of these before. And what wonderful, exquisite little gems they are. They're all short - maybe 4 to 20 lines at most - short rhyming lines with heart-wrenching domestic themes every one. There's a poem about a little mouse in the house, another about a visit by her grandson, another about a cardinal in the evergreen tree. Absolutely charming and delightful and oh so very, very, very like my Mom ... yet I had never seen these before. What a wonderful, wonderful gift to see these delightful glimpses into my Mom's talents ... and into my Mom's warm, loving heart.

After going through her poems, I typed them up and plan to include them in my "Memory Book" ... by God's Grace, what a wonderful, wonderful gift.

Thank you Lord ... and thank you my Sister ...


Thank you, Lord, for my Mom.

No comments: