Monday, October 1, 2007

Watching The War on PBS ... Whew ...

I happened to turn on PBS tonite ... they've been showing Ken Burns' The War ... and after watching only a little, I feel downright ashamed of my rant earlier today.

After watching these amazing soldiers, and what they went through ... and what their families went through ... really, what do I have to complain about?

The episode tonite focused on The Battle of the Bulge, which captured my interest especially because my father was in it. Dad was in a unit that was attached to the 101st Airborne in Bastogne, and he was among the soldiers trapped there during the battle. I found myself watching the faces of the soldiers, studying them ... trying to see if my father happened to show up on one of the film clips. Of course the chances of his being on any battle film, much less any film shown tonite, was very very slim indeed. But I couldn't help lookiing and wondering at least if he had known any of these soldiers. Were these friends? Did he fight alongside any of these soldiers?

My God My God ...

St Therese, please send your roses from Heaven upon any soldiers and their families remaining alive today from that long, long ago time ...

Oh Mom ... she was actually a member of The Greatest Generation, in Tom Brokaw's words. I remember I proudly said this to her on a number of occasions. She reacted with acceptance but almost dismissive humility ... but I think she was privately pleased ...

The archival footage that is beings shown in The War is really just amazing. I can't help but wonder ... O Lord ... at the end of time, will we have the opportunity to see the full eternal archive of "film" images ... what an extraordinary work is man ....

Charles Delacroix
F of St Therese de Lisieux

No comments: