Monday, October 15, 2007

This House, This Home

I thought about this a couple of times over the past few days, and after this morning, really, by God's Grace, I really feel the Presence of God here ... and also the presence of Mom. No ... not as in some kind of shrine. But maybe ... just maybe ... with the kind of flavor or feeling or subtext that I'm guessing may have been historically present in a house that has a long history of the family's life and death within its walls. What does it feel like ... to live in such a house? I should think it would feel like ... in a special way ... Home.

O God ... sometimes I feel like I'm becoming more Traditional by the minute. Now I'm feeling this very traditional sense of Family and Place linked in that special way long celebrated by Hilaire Belloc and Russell Kirk and (perhaps) those many predecessors who lived in extended families in which a house might be the context and ground of Family in such a special way.

O Mom you are gone ... but you are not gone ...

And I am so deeply, deeply grateful ...

Charles Delacroix
Feast of St Teresa d'Avila

No comments: